Thursday, December 09, 2004

Practicing Jazz

I just got done practicing with my jazz quartet. It went pretty well. It got me thinking, though.
Do we really need to practice? Usually we can just get together at a gig and play without hardly playing through any of the music or really know what we're doing. We basically just follow lead sheets. Sometimes before playing through a song we'll map out what we want to do, who'll play solos where, and how we'll try and end it. I just wondered why we needed to practice then. Couldn't we just get together the night of the concert, glance over the music and play it with no problems? Probably, but...

Being a Christmas concert, Yule be Gruvin is gonna be much more than just a couple of jazz nuts getting together to play. Its gonna be a tribute to Jesus, the whole reason we celbrate the Christmas holiday. I guess I want it to something more than what we can throw together in a matter of minutes, but something that we have spent more time thinking about and giving the best of our talent to.

We'll try and get together a few more times before the night of the 23rd to go over the songs. I want to give the best "tribute to Jesus" concert that I can.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert I tried to write a note to you but didn't get it to work. I like your web site and hope you keep it going. Music and pictures will be good too. do I need to get a password or should I remain anonymous which is very close to annoying which I already know about.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Robert Martinson II said...

Thanks. I'll try and keep it up. It will get better as I learn what in the "whirled" I am doing. I appreciate knowing who is commenting if at all possible. You'll get a password and username if you already have you own blog with Blogger. Otherwise you can always include your name in the comment. That way, even if you are not a blogger, you can still leave comments.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Robert,
I found anouther whorled - from back in the days of field science in junior and senior high school! Thanks for the phone call last week. Your post card arrived in yesterday's mail. Thanks. Take care - see you at Christmas. - Laura

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home