Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A Christian???

I am a follower of Christ.

I got into a discussion about Christianity today with a man who thinks he is agnostic. He asked me if I thought that, if Christ returned today, He'd be angry about what he saw taking place in the church? I replied that Christ would be upset.

In reality, God knows everything that is going on. I am sure He is already upset and disappointed in us.

When people we know do stupid things, we usually want to dissociate ourselves from them. But when our fellow Christians (past and present) have done stupid stuff, we can't exactly quit calling ourselves Christians, can we?

I have made my share of screwups. I've made mistakes that people would see as unChristian behavior for sure. I know I have upset and disappointed Christ many time. If anyone knew the deepest and darkest of my thoughts, they would certainly think I belong in a prison (or at best, a nuthouse). If I acted out on these thoughts, I would be guilty of crimes with the harshest punishments as consequences. I would deserve to die. I do deserve to die.

That is what makes me a Christian. I know I deserve to die. I know it should have been me up on that cross. I know that the Son of God did nothing to deserve the death penalty, but he recieved that capital punishment so that we could be pardoned and so that our sins could be forgiven (not just the sins I have already committed, but all the sins I will ever commit in my time on earth). It is my desire to follow Christs example, not in the way He died (I don't think anyone wants to dies on a cross) but in the way He lived while on earth.

Follow up posts on this topic to come...
-RM2

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate this post.

I've been having some conversation with a guy I'm working with on a part time construction job who has similar questions.

I can also empathize with your thought life being incriminating. Is it not torture, in a sense, to have the Spirit and desire the mind of Christ, yet be confined to this whirled of sin?

And not only have I made mistakes, I continue to make them. I try and take comfort in so many promises of Scripture, but it is a battle of the mind.

Paul Nielsen

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sound like you're right on target.
John W. Cowart

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog you have. I have a six cello suites score
related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is six cello suites score

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home